In and around Albany - Torbay

Torbay is a small town and a bay in the Great Southern region of Western Australia, 20 kilometres west of Albany. Torbay is within the City of Albany local government area. The Torbay townsite was gazetted in 1910.


The Torbay area is on the eastern fringe of the karri forest region, and with some notable blocks of remnant tall forest. Large granite outcrops are also common. Beaches on the bay tend towards fine white sand. Where streams occur, they are clear but stained dark brown in colour from high-tannin-content vegetation.

The town is named after Tor Bay,a bay on the coast to the south originally named by Captain Matthew Flinders in 1801 after Tor Bay in Devon, the home port of Admiral Richard Howe's Channel Fleet, for whom Flinders had served as a midshipman from 1793 to 1794. Admiral Howe's nickname was "Lord Torbay". Flinders identified a number of local features with Lord Howe-related names, including Torbay (the bay), Torbay Inlet, Torbay Head and West Cape Howe (originally named Cape Howe by George Vancouver), to avoid confusion with James Cook’s Cape Howe in New South Wales. Pre-settlement explorers of the Torbay area included: Matthew FlindersRobert BrownFerdinand Bauer and William Westall (Dec. 1801);Thomas Wilson (Dec. 1829);Roe and Stirling (Nov. 1835) and Charles Codrington Forsyth of HMS Pelorus (1838).


In November 1835, Roe and Stirling explored the Tor Bay area, scoping the area for shipbuilding. From the late 1830s to the 1860s an industry building vessels of up to 150 tons was established at Port Harding (Migo Island), using timber from the Guarinup Hills, half a mile behind the beach


A shore whaling station was established on the beach at Tor Bay behind Migo Island in 1844. Whales were taken during the periods 1844-1846 and 1861-1864.


In 1886 railway contractors C & E Millar established sawmills at Bornholm to supply timber for the construction of the Great Southern Railway (Beverley to Albany railway). Timber was initially shipped out by lighter, schooner and the small steamer Active from Port Harding (Migo Island) to Albany, and later by tramline to Elleker. In 1889 the Torbay Estate, of 22,000 acres, was granted to Millars in consideration of extending the railway from Elleker to Torbay and establishing working sawmills there. The two Bornholm mills were shifted to Torbay and enlarged.A prosperous timber settlement was in evidence at Torbay for about six years. The estate concession extended from Wilgie Hill, at the Albany end of Torbay, to Youngs, the timber being hauled by tramline from 20 miles beyond Torbay as far as Hay River, before the mills were finally moved.[1By 1895 most of the suitable timber at Torbay had been felled. The railway was again extended to Denmark in 1896. In 1898 Millars Karri and Jarrah Forests Limited offered the Torbay Estate back to the government provided they could retain ownership of the strip of land occupied by the Elleker-Torbay railway, which under their contract was to revert to the government after 14 years. The land was subdivided and sold for agricultural purposes in 1900.

WAGR rail service

Millars' Elleker-Torbay-Denmark railway line closed on 31 May 1905. During negotiations over the sale of the railway line the State leased the line and WAGR rail services began on 3 May 1907.In 1908 Millars sold the railway to the state government. Line extension works beyond Denmark were started in 1926 and on 11 June 1929 the first passenger service ran to Nornalup. The Nornalup-Denmark-Torbay-Elleker rail service was permanently shut down on 30 September 1957 and the rails were lifted in 1963

Modern industry

Local industries include dairy farming, beef cattleplantation forestry, specialist horticulture, arts and crafts and tourism, along with rural businesses that service farmers (mechanicslime supply, machinery and labour hire etc.). A seasonal commercial fishing industry occurs within the bay based on catches of herring and Australian salmon during the February–April period. Torbay has been a traditional potato growing area for over a century, particularly for seed potato production. While some pumpkins are grown and the area is suitable for cauliflower production, potatoes are the major horticultural crop. The area currently produces about 50% of Western Australia’s requirements for seed potato production.

Tor Bay

Tor Bay, which includes Port Harding (named in 1838 by master's mate Charles Forsyth after Captain Francis Harding of HMS Pelorus) and Port Hughes (named in 1831 by Roe after Private Thomas Hughes of the 63rd Regiment) as well as Torbay Inlet, lie between Torbay Head and Stony Island. Torbay Head is the most southerly point on the mainland of Western Australia and the most western point of the Great Australian Bight.[21] Islands within Tor Bay include Migo Island, named after the Swan River native Migo, Richard Island, named after Admiral Richard Howe, both by Roe in 1835; and Shelter Island. Popular beaches on the bay include Perkins Beach, Muttonbird Beach and Cosy Corner, all accessible by car. Cosy Corner is the most well-known, a popular family beach with picnic and camping facilities. Children's swimming lessons are held there in the summer. There are other beaches that are accessible only by four-wheel drive vehicle. The Bibbulmun Track passes around the edge of the bay, coming down long steps from the steep hills above Cosy Corner and following the beach around the curve of the bay and across the mouth of Torbay Inlet to near Shelter Island.


Image Credit:

George Vancouver

Captain George Vancouver (22 June 1757 – 10 May 1798) was a British officer of the Royal Navy, best known for his 1791–95 expedition, which explored and charted North America's northwestern Pacific Coastregions, including the coasts of contemporary AlaskaBritish ColumbiaWashington, and Oregon. He also explored the Hawaiian Islands and the southwest coast of Australia.

Source: Public Domain

Source: Public Domain

In Canada, Vancouver Island and the city of Vancouver are named after him, as are Vancouver, Washington, in the United States, Mount Vancouver on the Yukon/Alaska border, and New Zealand's sixth highest mountain.

George Vancouver was born in King's Lynn on 22 June 1757 as the sixth, and youngest, child of John Jasper Vancouver, a Deputy Collector of Customs, and Bridget Berners.

In 1771, at the age of 13, George Vancouver entered the Royal Navy as a "young gentleman", a future candidate for midshipman. He was selected to serve as a midshipman aboard HMS Resolution, on James Cook's second voyage (1772–1775) searching for Terra Australis. He also accompanied Cook's third voyage (1776–1780), this time aboard Resolution's sister ship, Discovery, and was present during the first European sighting and exploration of the Hawaiian Islands. Upon his return to Britain in October 1780, Vancouver was commissioned as a lieutenant and posted aboard the sloop Martin initially on escort and patrol duty in the English Channel and North Sea. He accompanied the ship when it left Plymouth on 11 February 1782 for the West Indies. On 7 May 1782 he was appointed fourth Lieutenant of the HMS Fame which was at the time part of the British West Indies Fleet and assigned to patrolling the French-held Leeward Islands. Vancouver returned to England in June 1783.

In the late 1780s the Spanish Empire commissioned an expedition to the Pacific Northwest. However, the 1789 Nootka Crisis intervened. Spain and Britain came close to war over ownership of the Nootka Sound on contemporary Vancouver Island, and of greater importance, the right to colonize and settle the Pacific Northwest coastHenry Roberts and Vancouver joined Britain's more warlike vessels. Vancouver went with Joseph Whidbey to HMS Courageux. When the first Nootka Convention ended the crisis in 1790, Vancouver was given command of Discovery to take possession of Nootka Sound and to survey the coasts.

Departing England with two ships on 1 April 1791, Vancouver commanded an expedition charged with exploring the Pacific region. In its first year the expedition travelled to Cape Town, Australia, New Zealand, Tahiti, and Hawaii, collecting botanical samples and surveying coastlines along the way. On 29 September they landed in Australia, at what Vancouver promptly named King George the Third's Sound.  He formally claimed at Possession Point, King George Sound Western Australia, now the town of Albany, Western Australia for the British.
The Vancouver Expedition (1791–1795) was a four-and-a-half-year voyage of exploration and diplomacy, commanded by Captain George Vancouver. The expedition circumnavigated the globe and touched all five continents.

Vancouver, one of Britain's greatest explorers and navigators, died in obscurity on 10 May 1798 at the age of 40, less than three years after completing his voyages and expeditionsNo official cause of death was stated, as the medical records pertaining to Vancouver were destroyed; one doctor named John Naish claimed Vancouver died from kidney failure, while others believed it was a hyperthyroid condition. His grave is in the churchyard of St Peter's Church, Petersham, in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, England. The Hudson's Bay Company placed a memorial plaque in the church in 1841. His grave in Portland stone, renovated in the 1960s, is now Grade II listed in view of its historical associations.


Source - Wikipedia Free Encylopedia.  Public domain

Albany's Ship Wreck - Lady Lyttleton

Lady Lyttleton was a barque that sunk in the Emu Point Channel in Oyster Harbour. (A barque is a type of sailing ship from the age of sail and is first mentioned in the 15th century. To be classified as a barque, a ship must have a particular arrangement of masts and sails. Barques have at least three masts and square sails on all masts, except the aft, or mizzen mast, and possibly the foremast)

Barques have at least three masts and square sails on all masts  Imagae Credit: WiseGeek

Barques have at least three masts and square sails on all masts  Imagae Credit: WiseGeek

The ship was built as Sultan, with a female figurehead and a single deck. It was registered in Sydney in 1861 by the owners Alex Young and John Howard. To date endeavours to find when and where it was built have proved unsuccessful

In 1866 the vessel was sold to Harold Selwyn Smith in Melbourne and registered at the port there.

On the ship's final voyage, in the command of John McArthur it departed Adelaideon 29 May 1867 with three passengers Mrs Hogan and Mr and Mrs Carmody, and a cargo of 18 tons of bran, 10 tons of pollard, 443 tons of barley and other goods, such as tobacco, stationery, hardware, drapery, dried fruit, oatmeal. It entered King George Sound on 16 June and was leaking badly. The crew had already jettisoned part of the cargo with the rest being unloaded in Albany before it sailed to Emu Point for repairs.

Lady Lyttleton was hove down to the shore by tackles from the masthead but the ship slipped and then foundered and sank on 17 July 1867. It was later abandoned. The wreck was rediscovered by divers in 1971.The Western Australian Museum surveyed and partially excavated the site in 1978 and in 1990 with several artefacts being retrieved, including an anchor, the rudder and pintles and an extremely corroded sextant.


Source Wikipedia Free Encyclopdeia 

Edmund Lockyer

Edmund Lockyer, (21 January 1784 – 10 June 1860) was a British soldier and explorer of Australia.

Edmund Lockyer - Albany

Born in PlymouthDevon, Lockyer was son of Thomas Lockyer, a sailmaker, and his wife Ann, née Grose. Lockyer began his army career as an ensign in the 19th Regiment in June 1803, was promoted lieutenant in early 1805 and made captain in August 1805. Lockyer was promoted to major in August 1819 and in August 1824 transferred to the 57th Regiment. Lockyer arrived at Sydney, capital of the British Colony of New South Wales, aboard the Royal Charlotte in April 1825 with men from the 57th; also with him were his wife and ten children.

In August 1825, Lockyer was asked to lead an expedition to explore the upper reaches of the Brisbane River, which had only recently been settled by Europeans. On 2 September, Lockyer sailed from Sydney in the cutter Mermaid, arriving at the settlement of Brisbane on 7 September. Leaving the Mermaid at Brisbane, he travelled in a small boat up the river. Lockyer saw coal in deposits on the banks, becoming the first person to identify coal in Queensland. Lockyer arrived back in Sydney on 16 October 1825, and made a report to Governor Sir Thomas Brisbane.

In late 1826, Lockyer led an expedition to claim Western Australia for Britain. He sailed on the brig Amity, arriving at King George Sound on 25 December, with twenty troops and twenty three convicts. This was the beginning of the first European settlement in Western Australia. On 21 January 1827, as instructed by the Secretary of State for War and the Colonies Earl Bathurst, the Union Jack was raised and a feu de joie fired by the troops, formally annexing the territory, in assertion of the first official claim by the Imperial Government to British possession over the whole continent of Australia.

The military base established by Lockyer was named Frederick Town, later renamed Albany, and would become an important deep water port. His interview with two sealers, arrested for crimes against local people, revealed intelligence of Dumont D'Urville's survey of King George Sound. Lockyer had planned an overland journey to the Swan River region in February, but learned that James Stirling had already examined the area. Lockyer was to remain in the settlement until command could be given to Captain Joseph Wakefield. Lockyer returned to Sydney on 3 April 1827, sold his army commission and settled in Sydney.

In 1852 Lockyer was appointed serjeant-at-arms to the New South Wales Legislative Council and on 16 May 1856 he became the Council's first Usher of the Black Rod In September 1854 he was commissioned a captain on the formation of the Sydney Volunteer Rifle Corps, a citizens' militia force.

On 18 November 1854, Lockyer married Elizabeth Colston. Elizabeth Colston is related to Mal Colston, a Queensland Senator.

Lockyer died from the effects of influenza on 10 June 1860 at his home in Bay Street, Woolloomooloo and was buried in Camperdown Cemetery, Sydney

The Sydney suburb of Ermington is named after Lockyer's residence, "Ermington House". A suburb of Albany, Western Australia, commemorates the city's founder. Lockyer CreekLockyer Valley and Lockyer Valley Regional Council in Queensland were named after Major Lockyer. His name and image were utilized in the Centenary of Albany, Western Australia and the booklet published at that time.


Source Wikipedia Free Source Library

Frederick Town = Albany

Albany was founded on 26 December 1826 as a military outpost of New South Wales as part of a plan to forestall French ambitions in the region. To that end, on 21 January 1827 the commander of the outpost, Major Edmund Lockyer, formally took possession of the western third of the continent for the British Crown

The area was initially named Frederick Town in honour of Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany. In 1831, the settlement was transferred to the control of the Swan River Colony and renamed Albany by Lieutenant-Governor James Stirling.

Image: Joshua Reynolds [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Image: Joshua Reynolds [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

The Prince Frederick, Duke of York and AlbanyKGGMBGCH (Frederick Augustus; 16 August 1763 – 5 January 1827), a member of the House of Hanover, was the second son and child of King George III, King of Great Britain and Ireland and Elector of Hanover. A soldier by profession, from 1764 to 1803 he was Prince-Bishop of Osnabrück, and from the death of his father in 1820 until his own death in 1827 he was the heir presumptive to his elder brother, King George IV, both to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and the Kingdom of Hanover. However, he died before his brother.

Frederick was thrust into the British Army at a very early age and was appointed to high command at the age of thirty, when he was given command of a notoriously ineffectual campaign during the War of the First Coalition, a continental war following the French Revolution. Later, as Commander-in-Chief during the Napoleonic Wars, he oversaw the reorganisation of the British Army, establishing vital structural, administrative and recruiting reforms for which he is credited with having done "more for the army than any one man has done for it in the whole of its history.

Prince Frederick Augustus, or the Duke of York as he became in later life, belonged to the House of Hanover. He was born on 16 August 1763, at St. James's PalaceLondon.[3] His father was the reigning British monarch, King George III. His mother was Queen Charlotte (née Princess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz).He was christened on 14 September 1763 at St James's, by the Archbishop of CanterburyThomas Secker — his godparents were his great-uncle the Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (for whom the Earl GowerLord Chamberlain, stood proxy), his uncle the Duke of York (for whom the Earl of HuntingdonGroom of the Stool, stood proxy) and his great-aunt the Princess Amelia.

On 27 February 1764, when Prince Frederick was six months old, his father secured his election as Prince-Bishop of Osnabrück in today's Lower Saxony He received this title because his father, as Elector of Hanover, was entitled to select every other holder of this (in alternation with a Roman Catholic prelate).He was invested as Knight of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath on 30 December 1767 and as a Knight of the Order of the Garter on 19 June 1771.

Military career

The Duke of York in 1790.

George III decided that his second son would pursue an army career and had him gazetted colonel on 4 November 1780. From 1781 to 1787, Prince Frederick lived in Hanover, where he studied (along with his younger brothers, Prince EdwardPrince ErnestPrince Augustus and Prince Adolphus) at the University of Göttingen. He was appointed colonel of the 2nd Horse Grenadier Guards (now 2nd Life Guards) on 26 March 1782 before being promoted to major-general on 20 November 1782.[3] Promoted to lieutenant general on 27 October 1784, he was appointed colonel of the Coldstream Guards on 28 October 1784

He was created Duke of York and Albany and Earl of Ulster on 27 November 1784[13] and became a member of the Privy Council. He retained the bishopric of Osnabrück until 1803, when, in the course of the secularisation preceding the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire, the bishopric was incorporated into Prussia.[6] On his return to Great Britain, the Duke took his seat in the House of Lords, where, on 15 December 1788 during the Regency crisis, he opposed William Pitt's Regency Bill in a speech which was supposed to have been influenced by the Prince of Wales.[6] On 26 May 1789 he took part in a duel with Colonel Charles Lennox, who had insulted him; Lennox missed, and Prince Frederick refused to return fire.[6]


Main article: Flanders Campaign

On 12 April 1793 Frederick was promoted to full general.[14] That year, he was sent to Flanders in command of the British contingent of Coburg's army destined for the invasion of France.[14] Frederick and his command fought in the Flanders Campaign under extremely trying conditions. He won several notable engagements, such as the Siege of Valenciennes in July 1793,[15] but was defeated at the Battle of Hondschoote in September 1793.[14] In the 1794 campaign he was successful at the Battle of Willems in May but was defeated at the Battle of Tourcoing later that month.[14] The British army was evacuated through Bremen in April 1795.[14]


After his return to Britain, his father George III promoted him to the rank of field marshal on 18 February 1795.[14] On 3 April 1795, George appointed him effective Commander-in-Chief in succession to Lord Amherst[16]although the title was not confirmed until three years later.[17] He was also colonel of the 60th Regiment of Foot from 19 August 1797.[18]

On appointment as Commander-in-Chief he immediately declared, reflecting on the Flanders Campaign of 1793–94,

"...that no officer should ever be subject to the same disadvantages under which he had laboured".[16]

His second field command was with the army sent for the Anglo-Russian invasion of Holland in August 1799. On 7 September 1799, he was given the honorary title of Captain-General.[19] Sir Ralph Abercromby and Admiral Sir Charles Mitchell, in charge of the vanguard, had succeeded in capturing some Dutch warships in Den Helder. However, following the Duke's arrival with the main body of the army, a number of disasters befell the allied forces, including shortage of supplies.[20] On 17 October 1799, the Duke signed the Convention of Alkmaar, by which the allied expedition withdrew after giving up its prisoners.[20] 1799 also saw Fort Frederick in South Africa named after him.[21]

Frederick's military setbacks of 1799 were inevitable given his lack of moral seniority as a field commander, the poor state of the British army at the time, and conflicting military objectives of the protagonists. After this ineffectual campaign, Frederick was mocked, perhaps unfairly, in the rhyme "The Grand Old Duke of York":

The grand old Duke of York,

He had ten thousand men.

He marched them up to the top of the hill

And he marched them down again.

And when they were up, they were up.

And when they were down, they were down.

And when they were only halfway up,

They were neither up nor down

"The modern Circe or a sequel to the petticoat", caricature of Frederick's lover, Mary Anne Clarke by Isaac Cruikshank, 15 March 1809. The prince resigned as head of the British army ten days after the caricature's publication.

Frederick's experience in the Dutch campaign made a strong impression on him. That campaign, and the Flanders campaign, had demonstrated the numerous weaknesses of the British army after years of neglect. Frederick as Commander-in-Chief of the British army carried through a massive programme of reform.He was the person most responsible for the reforms that created the force which served in the Peninsular War. He was also in charge of the preparations against Napoleon's planned invasion of the United Kingdom in 1803. In the opinion of Sir John Fortescue, Frederick did "more for the army than any one man has done for it in the whole of its history."

In 1801 Frederick actively supported the foundation of the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, which promoted the professional, merit-based training of future commissioned officers.

On 14 September 1805 he was given the honorary title of Warden of Windsor Forest.

Frederick resigned as Commander-in-Chief on 25 March 1809, as the result of a scandal caused by the activities of his latest mistress, Mary Anne Clarke.[20] Clarke was accused of illicitly selling army commissions under Frederick's aegis.[20] A select committee of the House of Commons enquired into the matter. Parliament eventually acquitted Frederick of receiving bribes by 278 votes to 196. He nevertheless resigned because of the high tally against him.[20] Two years later, it was revealed that Clarke had received payment from Frederick's disgraced chief accuser, Gwyllym Wardle and the Prince Regent reappointed the exonerated Frederick as Commander-in-Chief on 29 May 1811.

Frederick maintained a country residence at Oatlands near WeybridgeSurrey but he was seldom there, preferring to immerse himself in his administrative work at Horse Guards (the British army's headquarters) and, after hours, in London's high life, with its gaming tables: Frederick was perpetually in debt because of his excessive gambling on cards and racehorses. Following the unexpected death of his niece, Princess Charlotte of Wales, in 1817, Frederick became second in line to the throne, with a serious chance of inheriting it.In 1820, he became heir presumptive with the death of his father, George III


Frederick died of dropsy and apparent cardio-vascular disease at the home of the Duke of Rutland on Arlington Street, London, in 1827.[20] After lying in state in London, Frederick's remains were interred in St. George's Chapel, at Windsor.[6]


On 29 September 1791 at Charlottenburg, Berlin, and again on 23 November 1791 at Buckingham Palace, Frederick married his cousin Princess Frederica Charlotte of Prussia, the daughter of King  and Elisabeth Christine of Brunswick-Lüneburg.The marriage was not a happy one and the couple soon separated. Frederica retired to Oatlands, where she lived until her death in 1820.


Titles, styles, honours and arms

Titles and styles

  • 16 August 1763 – 27 November 1784His Royal Highness The Prince Frederick
  • 27 November 1784 – 5 January 1827His Royal Highness The Duke of York and Albany

His full style, recited at his funeral, was "Most High, Most Mighty, and Illustrious Prince, Frederick Duke of York and of Albany, Earl of Ulster, Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, First and Principal Knight Grand Cross of the Most Honourable Military Order of the Bath, Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Hanoverian Guelphic Order".[27]


His honours were as follows:


As a son of the sovereign, Frederick was granted use of the arms of the kingdom, differenced by a label argent of three points, the centre point bearing a cross gules. The quarter/inescutcheon of Hanover had an inescutcheon argent charged with a wheel of six spokes gules for the Bishopric of Osnabrück.


Fredericton, the capital of the Canadian province of New Brunswick, was named after Prince Frederick. The city was originally named "Frederick's Town"

Also in CanadaDuke of York Bay was named in his honour, since it was discovered on his birthday, 16 August.

In Western AustraliaYork County and the towns of York and Albany were named after Prince Frederick Albany was originally named "Frederick Town"

The towering Duke of York Column on Waterloo Place, just off The Mall, London was completed in 1834 as a memorial to Prince Frederick.

The 72nd Regiment of Foot was given the title Duke of Albany's Own Highlanders in 1823 and, in 1881, became 1st Battalion Seaforth Highlanders (Ross–shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's).

The first British fortification in southern Africa, Fort Frederick, Port Elizabeth, a city in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa, was built in 1799 to prevent French assistance for rebellious Boers in the short-lived republic of Graaff-Reinet.

Albany Senior High School

Albany Senior High School is a comprehensive independant public senior high school located in Albany, a regional centre 420 kilometres (261 mi) south-southeast of Perth, Western Australia. The school was established in 1918. The school's catchment area covers most of the City of Albany.

Images Hughes Darren

Images Hughes Darren

The school first opened in 1918, and relocated in 1924 to the northern side of Mount Clarence, to buildings designed by the Principal Architect of Western AustraliaWilliam Hardwick.

Albany High School has important aesthetic, historic, representative and social cultural heritage significance. Though the campus has grown over time, many of the original buildings constructed between the wars are still in use today. The school also provides a vital service for students in the outer Albany rural areas.

Elevated position, with a sweeping outlook Two storey building of brick and tile construction
Main building has central section with brick portico Lower section of wall exposed brick, upper section rendered and painted Hipped roof (tiled) with cupola Wings extending on both sides from central section Verandah on top floor, arched loggia on ground floor of wings Exposed brick pillars and arches.

The Albany High School began 99 years after the founding of the settlement of Albany in 1826. The foundation stone was laid in 1918, after the end of WWI. The brick building on the present site was opened in 1925. It followed the architectural style found in many larger country towns throughout Western Australia, having been designed by the government architects of the day, 
Prior to this time, the education facilities for secondary aged students in Albany had been very limited. Some scholarships were available to secondary schools in Perth, but few rural parents could take advantage of this. Albany's secondary students were housed in the primary school. They wore no special uniforms and do not appear to have continued schooling after 15 years. The subjects taught were merely an extension of primary school, with the addition of French, Agricultural Science, and some emphasis on Household Management and Woodwork. Some wooden buildings were erected at the rear of the headmaster's House to accommodate these practical students.
After a concerted effort and lobbying from the Albany parents' Citizens' and Teachers' Association, plans for a senior school came to fruition and the school building was completed by 1925. It had classrooms, laboratories, a dark room, a large gymnasium, and Household Management Centre. The Depression put an end to the expansion of education in WA, leading to overcrowding in schools, as those who could not find work returned to school. Class sizes increased, there was a shortage of teachers, and buildings deteriorated. WWII was also a setback for education, restricting the expansion of educational opportunities for students. Although, for many years Albany High School was used for adult and apprenticeship courses. To commemorate those who had died in the war, and in memory of the former principal, FM Reedy, a memorial rose garden and the Reedy Memorial Sundial were established.
Over the years since WWII the school has expanded and grown, with ever expanding opportunities for students to have a well-rounded education. In 1985 the school celebrated its diamond jubilee and  continues to provide a vital educational foundation for the young people in the Albany district.

Albany Senior High School has a category B & C on the State Heritage List:

B -  Requires a high level of protection. • Provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the City of Albany Town Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. • A more detailed Heritage Assessment/Impact Statement to be undertaken before approval given for any major redevelopment. • Incentives to promote heritage conservation should be considered.

C -  Retain and conserve if possible. • Make every endeavour to conserve the significance of the place through the provisions of the City of Albany Town Planning Scheme. • A more detailed Heritage Assessment/Impact Statement to be undertaken before approval given for any development. • Photographically record the place prior to any development.


Source:  inHerit

Wesley Church

Wesley Church is a Uniting Church located on Duke Street overlooking Princess Royal Harbour in Albany in the Great Southern region of Western Australia.

Image: Hughes Darren

Image: Hughes Darren

Initially known as the Wesley Methodist Church it was built in a late Victorian style in 1890 at a cost of £2,695 The church has walls of brick and local granite with elaborate brick window surrounds. It also features gothic elements such as pointed arched entrances, a tall spire and pointed arched windows. The manse was built on the eastern side of the church in 1903 at a cost of £1,250in a matching architectural style Both buildings were funded by the Robinson family who held large commercial, land and legal interests in both Albany and Perth.

The complex, consisting of the church, hall and manse are heritage listed. The hall was built first in 1863 and then replaced in 1891, now known as Albert Hall. The church was opened the same year after replacing an earlier building, parts of which were incorporated into the hall.

The first organ was built in 1890 by Alfred Kirkland and installed at Wesley Church in 1894. Removed in 1966, it is now at the Lockyer Uniting Church.

The church is set close to the road with a symmetrical facade, a tower and spire. It has a steeply pitched roof, parapeted gable and wall buttresses. The stone masonry is finished with brick trim.The hall sits next to the church also has a symmetrical facade and a steeply pitched roof that includes a row of vents. It has a central arched doorway and five centred flat-topped windows above the door. The manse has a symmetrical façade, stone construction with painted brick quoining around windows and doors. There is a central portico with arched entrance, a verandah with decorative timber posts and frieze. The main roof is hipped and topped with four distinctive chimneys.

In 1977 the Methodist Church and the Presbyterian Church of Australia merged to form the Uniting Church of Australia


Source:  Wikipedia Free Encylopdeia