The name Narrikup comes from the Aboriginal name of a nearby brook which is thought to mean "place of abundance".
A reserve for the townsite was put aside in 1901 and in 1905 20 lots were surveyed; the townsite was finally gazetted in 1907.
An eight metre high cricket bat has become the Great Southern's latest tourist attraction. The structure is a part of the Narrikup Cricket Club's ongoing project to build their boundary fence out of donated cricket bats.
Narrikup is neat and attractive and has won the Plantagenet Shire's Inter-Tidy Town competition six times