Albany High School has important aesthetic, historic, representative and social cultural heritage significance. Though the campus has grown over time, many of the original buildings constructed between the wars are still in use today. The school also provides a vital service for students in the outer Albany rural areas.
Elevated position, with a sweeping outlook Two storey building of brick and tile construction
Main building has central section with brick portico Lower section of wall exposed brick, upper section rendered and painted Hipped roof (tiled) with cupola Wings extending on both sides from central section Verandah on top floor, arched loggia on ground floor of wings Exposed brick pillars and arches.
The Albany High School began 99 years after the founding of the settlement of Albany in 1826. The foundation stone was laid in 1918, after the end of WWI. The brick building on the present site was opened in 1925. It followed the architectural style found in many larger country towns throughout Western Australia, having been designed by the government architects of the day,
Prior to this time, the education facilities for secondary aged students in Albany had been very limited. Some scholarships were available to secondary schools in Perth, but few rural parents could take advantage of this. Albany's secondary students were housed in the primary school. They wore no special uniforms and do not appear to have continued schooling after 15 years. The subjects taught were merely an extension of primary school, with the addition of French, Agricultural Science, and some emphasis on Household Management and Woodwork. Some wooden buildings were erected at the rear of the headmaster's House to accommodate these practical students.
After a concerted effort and lobbying from the Albany parents' Citizens' and Teachers' Association, plans for a senior school came to fruition and the school building was completed by 1925. It had classrooms, laboratories, a dark room, a large gymnasium, and Household Management Centre. The Depression put an end to the expansion of education in WA, leading to overcrowding in schools, as those who could not find work returned to school. Class sizes increased, there was a shortage of teachers, and buildings deteriorated. WWII was also a setback for education, restricting the expansion of educational opportunities for students. Although, for many years Albany High School was used for adult and apprenticeship courses. To commemorate those who had died in the war, and in memory of the former principal, FM Reedy, a memorial rose garden and the Reedy Memorial Sundial were established.
Over the years since WWII the school has expanded and grown, with ever expanding opportunities for students to have a well-rounded education. In 1985 the school celebrated its diamond jubilee and continues to provide a vital educational foundation for the young people in the Albany district.
Albany Senior High School has a category B & C on the State Heritage List:
B - Requires a high level of protection. • Provide maximum encouragement to the owner under the City of Albany Town Planning Scheme to conserve the significance of the place. • A more detailed Heritage Assessment/Impact Statement to be undertaken before approval given for any major redevelopment. • Incentives to promote heritage conservation should be considered.
C - Retain and conserve if possible. • Make every endeavour to conserve the significance of the place through the provisions of the City of Albany Town Planning Scheme. • A more detailed Heritage Assessment/Impact Statement to be undertaken before approval given for any development. • Photographically record the place prior to any development.