We are really feeling the cold. It hasn't been a super hot summer anyway, but what used to feel warm, feels cold now. The last of the fresh Asparagus was at the markets today, so we decided a soup lunch to warm us up.
- 2 pounds green asparagus
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked in warm water for 1 hour
- ¼ teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- Cut asparagus into ½-inch pieces.
- In a large pot, heat margarine over medium-low heat, and cook the onion and garlic for a few minutes, until softened.
- Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add broth and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add cashews and purée soup using an immersion blender (or in batches in a blender) until smooth.
- Season with lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
HINT: We always have a supply of soaked cashews in the freezer.
Nutritional Value Of Asparagus
Asparagus is a nutrient-packed source of vitamins, minerals and essential proteins. Asparagus is rich in vitamin A, vitamin B1 (thiamine), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B3 (niacin), vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), vitamin B6, folate, vitamin C, vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol), and vitamin K (phylloquinone).
Asparagus contains a very low amount of calories with no cholesterol and is low in sodium as well. Along with this, it is also a rich source of dietary fiber, which is essential for the body.