We are always on the lookout for different and unusual breakfast dishes. I came across this one a few weeks ago and pinned it on my Pinterest board and made it last week. I did my own little tweaking and result was amazing. Our guniea pig guests were totally speechless after the first bite.
With a hint of cinnamon and sugar on the outside, and a creamy filling on the inside, our mini French Toast Rollups are the perfect make-ahead, portable breakfast!
Yields: 24 rollups
Chilling Time: 2 hr
Cooking Time: 10 min
What You'll Need:
- 1 package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 24 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Toasted Almond Flakes, Fresh Fruit and Maple Syrup to serve
What To Do:
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, egg yolk, and 1/4 cup sugar until smooth; set aside.
- Roll out each bread slice with a rolling pin. Spread cheese mixture over bread, distributing evenly. Roll up each slice jellyroll-style and place seam-side down on a baking sheet.
- In a shallow dish, combine remaining sugar and the cinnamon. Brush butter over rollups then roll them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture, until completely coated. Repeat with remaining rollups, returning them to baking sheet after coating.
- Cover and freeze at least 2 hours.
- Just before serving, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake rollups 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden.
- Sprinkle with toasted almond flakes, drizzle with maple syrup and add some fresh fruit such as strawberries, blueberries or peaches on the plate.
Rollups will keep in the freezer up to two months prior to baking.