We like to offer our guests a healthier alternative to the usual chocolate cake for afternoon tea. Becki found this receipe by Nigella Lawson as she was searching the internet. They are so yummy.
One of our guests has asked for recipe and as we all know when you are travelling, little bits of paper get lost, so here it is Merilyn.
- 1 x 397 grams can condensed milk
- 250 grams rolled oats (not instant)
- 75 grams shredded coconut
- 100 grams dried cranberries
- 125 grams mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame)
- 125 grams natural unsalted peanuts
- Preheat the oven to 130°C/gas mark ½/250ºF, and oil a 23 x 33 x 4cm / 9 x 13 inch baking tin, or use a throwaway foil one.
- Warm the condensed milk in a large pan.
- Meanwhile, mix together all the other ingredients and then add the warmed condensed milk, using a rubber or wooden spatula to fold and distribute.
- Spread the mixture into the tin and press down with the spatula or, better still, your hands (wearing disposable vinyl gloves to stop you sticking), to even the surface.
- Bake for 1 hour, then remove from the oven and, after about 15 minutes, cut into four across, and four down to make 16 chunky bars. Let cool completely.
Thanks Nigella for sharing your receipes...our guests are certainly enjoying them.